Saturday, December 22, 2012

My First Crown

Inspired by a picture in a children's book of some children up in a tree. The oldest boy wore a crown, a crown of leaves.

I took to wondering if I could make a crown that was as much leaves as it was a crown. Eventually I found a leaf that looked right, I adjusted for scale, then made a pattern. After cutting out many leaves out of one of my favorite mediums (wool felt), arranging them just right, then breathlessly sewing them together on my Bernina, I had something I could truly be proud of.

The ribbon runs the full length inside the crown for an added touch of stability, but with two layers of quality wool felt (one side gold and the other the myriad colors of leaves), and with all the overlap, this machine stitched piece is definitely going to last for years to come.

Gifted 1012-12-25.

No comments:

Post a Comment