Sunday, May 24, 2015

The need for masks

One thing I've been wanting to do for a while is make masks. The first mask I remember seeing was actually at Disneyland. At the time they had this cute little store in New Orleans square and they had for sell Mardi Gras masks. The one I remember the best was just a half mask in shaped thin leather painted in a diamond pattern. Every time I went to Disneyland I would stop by and look at their masks and wish I could own one. Alas, the store is now gone, but I still love those masks.

So, in my mind the ultimate mask is made out of thin leather, and I could totally do that, it just requires the leather and a form, and then soaking and stretching and such, but it doesn't hold much attraction for me at the moment.

Instead my head goes to thinking what would the Victorians do. What totally cheap and non standard method can one go but then make it look like a high quality, detailed, expensive piece. Which is when I started playing with foam craft sheets. No, you can't go and mold them to shapes, but if you're careful you can cut it so that's not required. Then with ribbon ties and a bit of paint you can have something quite fantastic. I haven't really played with feathers yet, and that is a natural direction to go. But, can you really find quality feathers at a craft store? Mmm, no! Didn't think so. Lace and tulle can also be interesting. We'll have to see where that goes. For the moment, I just have my heart set on getting some masks made and up on Etsy in time for Halloween this year. Which I totally did not last year, or even the year before. Go figure. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment